Christ Central History
In August 1992, members of various area congregations began meeting at a local church in downtown Columbia, South Carolina, to seek God's will for their city. Two years later, in June 1994, a homeless man came to the event and asked for food. His request was met, more homeless people started coming for the same reason, a great need was recognized, and the challenge was accepted. The effort was named Inner City Ministry. It soon outgrew the gymnasium that was originally offered, and on May 18, 1997 Inner City Ministry became Christ Central Ministries.
Today, Christ Central has grown to include 27 mission stations across South Carolina, an entire city block on Main Street, Columbia, a 1400-acre wilderness camp, a 52-acre Missions College, a free medical center, the largest Veteran Center in South Carolina, addiction housing facilities, a children's home, women and men's transitional facilities, resource and solution centers, food banks, thrift stores, free GED programs, and many other mission outreaches serving various needs in communities across South Carolina. Because Christ Central Ministries and Insitute are interdenominational, we strive to work with any church who recognizes a need in its community and help to create a godly response.
Christ Central Future
Projects under way include CCM’s first free mental health clinic, additional free medical clinics, a comprehensive youth program that meets youth at school, at home, and in their neighborhoods, a national pilot project to address persistent homelessness, and Mission Lake, a 1400 acre wilderness camp and research campus in southern Lexington County.