(Shelter for Women and Children)
1726 Sumter St.
Columbia,, SC 29201
Director: Mariquita McKnight
To give hope to women and children who are without and to help transition a dependent woman to a place of independence and self-sufficiency, capable of caring for herself and her children.
The vision is a facility that works to mature women and rebuild families, a facility that works to service others in the community with basic necessities, and a facility that partners with other organizations to provide job placement, child care, and affordable housing.
Hannah House provides transitional shelter and basic necessities to women, with or without children, who are seeking independence and self-sufficiency. The focus is on rebuilding families, job placement, child care, and affordable housing.
Located in what was once The Davis Hotel, built in the 1940’s, facilities include laundry, commercial kitchen, dining room, living room, play room, one and two bedroom apartments, private baths, a dormitory, and a clothing boutique. There are more than forty beds. Amenities include daily meals, internet and phone access, clothing, shoes, personal care products, and healthcare assistance.
Five Focus Areas:
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Spiritual Enrichment, Counselling, Life Skills Classes, Goal Setting, Case Management
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Job Prep Classes, Soft Skills Classes, Interview Skills
- EDUCATION: GED Classes, Tutoring for Adults & Children, Scholarships for Quick Jobs at Midland’s Tech
- HEALTH & WELLNESS: Nutrition Classes, Developing Better Eating Habits, Disease/Illness Prevention & Healing
- PERSONAL FINANCE: Financial Peace Classes, Budget Training, Assistance with Debt Reduction
Volunteer and Contribution Opportunities
Opportunities to help with your time and money and gifts such as personal products, furniture, linens, toys, etc., abound. Please call or contact us to let us know of your willingness.